Sunday, March 26, 2006

Long, slow, wet.

We did our LSR yesterday. The weather has undergone a transformation. Rather than cold and dry, it is now milder and wet. There are finally signs of spring which are better late than never.

We set off at 9.30, planning to run across the heath to meet up with a club mate, run with her for a couple of hours, then head home. It's usually a joy to be up on the heath, whatever the weather, but this time it was rather sad. There was a very big fire last weekend (started deliberately) and it caused lots of damage. As if the sight of all the blackened habitat was not bad enough, there was also a constant burnt smell to contend with.

As usual, hubby went off ahead leaving me trailing in his wake. Because of this I have suggested that we don't train together but he always assured me that this is supposed to be a slow run so he's happy to wait for me. Doesn't seem to happen in practice though! So, I trailed along behind, muttering under my breath and telling myself that I would go off on my own if he continued like this. Our clubmate is very much faster than either of us, so I was also a bit worried about that. However, when we met up she had her hubby with her. He is a bit faster than me at his best, but is just coming back from an injury so we stayed at the back and chatted. To be fair, the other 2 didn't get far ahead either and we were able to gossip as we went. Hubby and I have little to say to each other when we are out, so it was really nice to be able to chat and pass the miles. However, by the time we got back to their place I was feeling very tired, we all agreed that we had probably allowed the pace to pick up quite a lot in the last few miles. OK for them, but we still had to get home!My tummy was playing up a bit, so I had a quick 'comfort stop', then hubby and I set off home.

It seemed very hard to get going again and we had a 'challenging' section to come. Not only uphill, but also off road as we were back onto the heath at this stage. We both walked for some time, although hubby was able to get going again sooner than I. As we were so close to home I was happy for him to go on ahead, rather than getting cold. It was raining steadily and we were both becoming uncomfortable. After hubby had gone I was able to pick up the pace again (into at least a shuffle!) and happily splished through all the puddles on the way back! Arrived home, soaking wet, just before 1pm, a total of 3hrs and 20 mins on my feet, so am satisfied with that.

My legs felt very tired and stiff afterwards, in places that don't usually trouble me. Looking back, I think that some of this might have been due to my footwear. As it had been raining for about 36 hours, I anticipated the going being very slippery off road, so had worn my trail shoes. These have better grip than my usual shoes and are more water resistant. However, they also have less cushioning and we ended up doing more stuff on-road than we had anticipated so that could well have been responsible for some of my increased aches and pains.

Anyway, today is a rest day again. It is also Mother's Day so I am looking forward to spending time with our Mums, then going out this evening for meal with hubby and son.


Blogger HappyasLarry said...

Well run Sluggie. it makes a big difference running in heavier shoes and wet ones at that.
Enjoy your tapering.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Outsidenow said...

Good work sluggie! Sounded like a tough run but as usual you coped with it admirably. Well done.

8:33 PM  
Blogger beanz said...

well run sluggy - i reckon these wet runs are good for our mental toughness - I decided on Monday it couldn't possibly be worse at FLM unless it snows!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Bedders said...

Hi Lyn. I have just come across your blog. Good luck at FLM. My wife and I are running FLM this year but I can safely say that we have trained all of 10km together! Just doesn't work for me.

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home